From Annabel Langbein’s “The Free Range Cook” comes this amazing STRAWBERRY CLOUD CAKE recipe.
It’s been on my list for ages and I finally made it for dinner last night. It was the perfect dessert to eat on a hot day! Super easy to make with no cooking required and very light.
It will serve 10-12 people.
150g plain sweet biscuits
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
100g butter, melted
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup (220g) sugar
250g ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line the base of a 26-28cm spring form cake tin with baking paper or waxed paper. This makes it easy to lift the cake out later.
- Make the base by putting the biscuits in a brown paper bag and crushing them into crumbs by beating carefully with a rolling pin. Pour the crumbs into a medium bowl and add the coconut, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir well to combine.
- Press firmly into the base of the prepared tin. It doesn’t need to be a thick layer – just enough to cover the bottom of the tin. Refrigerate the base while you prepare the filling.
- Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla extract in the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed for about 6-8 minutes until the mixture is very thick and fluffy and the sugar has dissolved. To test whether it is ready, rub a bit of the mixture between your fingers. You should not feel any gritty sugar. If you do, beat a little longer.
- Spoon the filling over the chilled base, smooth the top, cover with a sheet of baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours. The cake will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.
I didn’t have such a big size cake tin, so I used a 24cm spring form tin and used the rest of the mixture to make a smaller cake in a log tin. I could also have made the cake much higher.
It makes a “soft” frozen texture of the cake.
You could use raspberries or any other berries and I think mango would be beautiful.
Annabel Langbein recommends serving the cake with fresh raspberries and a berry syrup. I served it with a seedless raspberry coulis.