2/3 cup (160ml) passionfruit pulp
250g butter, softened
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
1/4 cup (60ml) water
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan -forced). Grease deep 19cm-square cake pan well; line base and sides with baking paper.
- Strain passionfruit over medium jug; reserve both juice and seeds.
- Beat butter, rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions; transfer to large bowl.
- Fold in combined passionfruit juice and buttermilk, add sifted flour, in two batches. Spread mixture into pan; bake about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make lemon syrup: combine juice, the water, sugar and half the reserved passionfruit seeds (discard remaining seeds or freeze for future use) in small saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered, without stirring, 5 minutes.
- Stand cake 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack set over tray. Pour hot syrup over hot cake; serve warm.
I made the cake in a large bowl, saved me transferring halfway through and doing more washing!
I cooked the cake in a 23-cm square cake tin. It took about 1h15 in my oven.
I made the syrup 10 minutes before the cake was due to be done cooking.
And I ate the cake cold.