My neighbour cooked this soup for one of our driveway parties. It’s awesome! The flavours are so good and it’s a simple recipe.
It will serve 4-6.
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
500g carrots, chopped
1 kumara (400g), chopped (that’s sweet potato)
4 kaffir lime leaves, 2 whole, 2 finely shredded
1l (4 cups) chicken stock
2 tbs palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tbs fish sauce
juice of 1/2 lime
200ml coconut cream
150ml thickened cream
1/3 cup (25g) toasted shredded coconut
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic, chilli, ginger, carrot, kumara, whole kaffir lime leaves and stock. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20-25 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove kaffir lime leaves and discard. Set aside mixture in saucepan to cool slightly. Using a blender or stick blender, blend soup to a smooth purée, then return to the pan over medium-low heat. Add palm sugar ( or brown sugar), fish sauce, lime juice and half the coconut cream, then stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, using electric beaters or a balloon whisk, whisk together the thickened cream and remaining 100ml coconut cream to soft peaks.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, then swirl through a spoonful of the coconut cream mixture. Top with shredded kaffir lime leaves and toasted shredded coconut.
I didn’t make the coconut cream mixture. I just added the shredded lime leaves and toasted coconut.