This recipe is from “The global bakery” by Anna Weston. It’s a Palestinian recipe.
I have made it 3 times already and it is a great cake! I have tried to make it with lemon instead of orange, but it is not as good.
And I use the weight amount, not the cup amount.
1 cup/ 130g plain flour
1/2 cup/ 60g ground almonds
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup/ 150g caster sugar
1/2 cup/ 120ml extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
grated zest of 2 oranges
1/2 cup/ 120ml fresh squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup/ 60g flaked almonds
icing sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease and flour a 23cm round cake pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, caster sugar and olive oil until thoroughly combined.
- Add the vanilla extract, orange zest and orange juice.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the mixture and beat until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle thickly with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool it completely on a rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving.