Mondays: the week starts again and sometimes it’s hard!
So here is Monday Lifeline to help you cope…
From Kaz Cooke’s “The Little Book of Stress”:
PAY ATTENTION TO ALL FIVE FOOD GROUPS: FRUIT, SAUSAGE ROLLS, POPCORN, CUSTARD TARTS AND LUNCH.
BEGIN EACH DAY WITH THREE LONG BLACKS, A COKE AND A PACKET OF PETER STUYVESANT.
My new year resolution 2014 is to cook one recipe (at least) from one of the numerous cookbooks I have every week.
So, here is the start!
This is actually a recipe from Sophie Zalokar heard on ABC radio Perth.
ZUCCHINI, RICE AND FETA PIE
1onion, finely chopped
1 tspn ground allspice
2 tbspn olive oil
500g zucchini, grated
3 baby zucchini, thickly sliced
100g basmati rice
2 large eggs
100g feta, crumbled
1 tblspn fresh dill. roughly chopped
1/2 cup pinenuts
salt and pepper
1/2 cup mozzarella or cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a deep round dish pie (I used a glass one)
- Gently fry the onion and allspice in the olive oil until softened
- Mix the grated and sliced zucchini, onion mixture, rice, eggs, feta, dill and 1/4cup of the pinenuts in a big bowl until combined (it is quite a moist mixture but the rice will absorbe it all while it’s cooking).
- Add salt and pepper and spoon into the prepared pie dish. Smooth the top over. Sprinkle over the mozzarella and the remaining pinenuts.
- Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes until golden and firm to touch (my oven took a bit more than 50 minutes but it’s not such a good oven)
- Eat! Serve with a salad and some nice tomato chutney
I find that it needs more seasoning, so next time I will add more feta and maybe a bit of chilli in it.
I did freeze some of it for another day.
Photo will be posted later, I’m new at this blog thingy…